Tuesday 30 September 2014

Free Food, Cultural Evening & A Midnight Hike


I am very much 'in like' with Oslo. The big 'L' word is trembling on the edge of my lip... but I'll hold out on it for a few more days at least! I've been here for seven weeks now, and there has never been a boring day - the last few weeks are no exception!!


I only have classes on Tuesday and Wednesday here (I planned that), so my weekend starts at 7pm on Wednesday when my Norwegian class gets out. That evening, my favourite Finns (Käti and Pekka) invited me to a bonfire-BBQ-gathering-thing in Sognsvann, which is the big lake right near Kringsjå. I have to admit that I still haven't actually been up there during the day but I've at least seen it at night (there was an incredible full Moon)! I met American Andrew, we ate marshmallows roasted on the bonfire and I got to try German stickbread (you literally cook it on a stick over the bonfire) which was fab! I think that is the sort of thing I dreamed of doing as a child, and now it's becoming a reality for me - pretty great.

Super duper excited for free food
On Friday, I headed to the Matstreif food festival with the beautiful Finns, super-sporty German Julia, Australians Angus & Lipi, American Andrew, Mountain Goat Gavin and a couple of new faces too. It's no secret that Oslo is a fairly expensive place to live, so filling up on all the freebies at the food festival was excellent! There was a massive variety of meats (I have now tried elk and reindeer), tons of fish (they really like their raw salmon over here), a LOT of cheese (my favourite thing!) and potatoes, soup, yoghurt, carrots... everything, really.

Outside the Nobel Peace Centre
Friday evening was the annual Cultural Night in Oslo - basically, a ton of places open their doors to the public for a few hours, for free. We decided to go to the Freia chocolate factory to stock up on cheap(er) chocolate bars (I highly recommend 70% with mint... mmm!), stopped by the Town Hall to gaze at the pretty art (you could also wait to go up to the top of the buidling which is known to have a good view of Oslo, but that queue was about 1.5 hours so we decided against it) and finally took a whirlwind tour of the Nobel Peace Centre - I definitely want to go back there and explore it more fully as there were so many things to read.

As if that wasn't enough excitement for one day, we had heard that the Northern Lights were meant to be visible in Oslo so we decided to hike up Vettakollen at midnight! I use the word 'hike' loosely as I can now appreciate that that was an absolute walk in the park compared to Kjerag. It took us about an hour from the entrance of Sognsvann to the top of the hill and it was huge fun - the whole crew from earlier on was there, plus Imke (another beautiful German girl), Tajda (Slovenian super-fit chick who killed me in the gym that time) and Tajda's flatmate. Of course, when we got to the top it was cloudy and there were no Northern Lights to be seen (the whole day had been clear blue skies - typical) but the nighttime view of Oslo was amazing, the Moon looked super spooky, and the company was great, so I couldn't really have asked for more. We stayed until 3am and I was back in my flat at 4am. I would do it again in a heartbeat... and maybe take a sleeping bag next time!

Midnight snacks for the midnight hike 

Glorious weather at Aker Brygge (I was overdressed) 
Saturday was pretty relaxed by comparison - a bunch of us forayed into the chaotic food festival once more where I tried my favourite sample; a cracker, camembert cheese and sweet chilli sauce. Delicious! Then I purchased a really yummy (& expensive) combo of mango sorbet and raspberry ice cream, before we all collapsed on a grassy area in Aker Brygge, enjoyed the sunshine (perfectly clear skies again - typical) and dreamt up the lives of the rich people on their huge yachts.

All in all, a lovely weekend. There is always something to do and somewhere to go in Oslo, it amazes me - you'd never know it was such a tiny city!

2 comments:

  1. Hi I have just found your blog. I am a law student myself and I am going on exchange to Oslo next year. Your blog is both interesting and useful, I have really enjoyed reading it. I hope you have time to keep updating it throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete